"The Jingle Bell Bum" (Read The Touching True Story...please!) Comment at patriciahanrion.com

"The Jingle Bell Bum" (Read The Touching True Story...please!) Comment at patriciahanrion.com
Still available on Amazon for Nook and Kindle, hard copy booklett to re-print November 2013

Friday, February 4, 2011

My nose knows and so do my grandkids

I have the nose that knows...or that's what the family thinks.  Either that or I have been subjected to torture for low these many years whenever something looks "iffy", ya know on the edge of rotten.  Not green mold, or milk that resembles cottage cheese but slimy meat who's expiration date was yesterday.  My husband will come all the way up stairs when I'm snuggled down in bed, only to shove my nose into some plastic container of ready to turn foodstuff. " Ewww this is rotten, SMELL it" he says.

Now I admit I have always been good at sniffing things out for as long as I can remember and could name a perfume or aftershave, or who has not had a shower after going to the gym, or a person who has nasty tennis shoes.  One time I was even driven down to my husband's friends' office to find the source of a moldy odor. After several trips outside to clear my palate...(nose palate) I found an old sandwich under the desk. 

And believe me for a nurse, having a good nose is double edged considering the cornucopia of odors that assault one when in the hospital.   I can often smell a diagnosis when the door to the elevator opens, I can sure smell a post partum floor (after you have a baby)...well I could go further but you may be eating.  Suffice it to say it is a blessing and a curse.

Luckily I have never had a grandchild ask me to smell socks to see if they were clean or needed to go into the hamper,(my husband has) but my great nose is a blessing which has all 12 of my grand-progeny brain washed into thinking I can do anything, like wonder grandma. It's a nice compliment which can backfire from time to time.  I had one call me from Utah to help with her English homework (this one is convinced I'm famous, even if I did explain that just because I wrote a book it dosen't mean anyone will read it) and later got a tongue lashing from a 10 year old that I spelled one of the words in "her" report wrong.  Her teacher wanted to know why she was writing about the old geezer in Yellowstone Park, (instead of the geyser) old faithful.  Well nobody's perfect!   path

No comments:

Post a Comment