"The Jingle Bell Bum" (Read The Touching True Story...please!) Comment at patriciahanrion.com

"The Jingle Bell Bum" (Read The Touching True Story...please!) Comment at patriciahanrion.com
Still available on Amazon for Nook and Kindle, hard copy booklett to re-print November 2013

Friday, September 18, 2015

James Dean and Left Hand Turns!


I am beginning to feel somewhat like an Arizona-ite. I've lived here for 18 months and have suffered through two summers of 116+ temperatures, Aha-boo dust storms, Monsoons, Micro-bursts of wind that knock down full grown trees. But cannot get used to all the accidents at major intersections.
I hate to refer to my past state of residence, however, I have never seen so many fender benders and considering we lived for many years in the land of fruit and Nuts where everyone drives fast. James Dean was a speedster who drove down one of the Canyons near our old house and crashed. He died from driving too fast ...not from a left hand turn.

Living in Calif. was not all that wonderful in the auto department. I was rear-ended twice while sitting at a red light. I also was subjected to kids in parking lots opening doors so wide they dented the sides of my beloved Infinity 35. (those dents have never been fixed...why bother, it will happen again) 

My mom's friend, Dolores, who used to drive her to the mall would make 4 right turns rather hand one left...she knew her limitations and took precautions. At least until she drove through the front of her Dr.s office. and had her license taken away.

I saw weirdos daily. A woman driving with a purse covering her entire head. A man in rainbow dreadlocks bouncing out the moon roof of his car while grooving to music. Another with a cracked and duct taped windshield was driving with his head out the window and the best was when I saw a guy kissing an iguana while behind the wheel, stopped at a red light. But amazingly, no accidents occurred from that kind of creative behavior.
 
I do like the freedoms of Arizona. You can drive listening music with two ear-buds in place. One time I got a ticket soon after I passed the border into California for having two ear-buds in place..."In Cali, young lady, you can only have one "bud" in one ear," I was told by the cop who wrote me a $150 ticket. 

So what's the deal here in the state where you can wear a gun into Walmart? Has the incredible heat fried car driver's brains? Is that why so many people have problems with left turns. I know getting into a car that has been sitting and baking in the valley of the sun is a challenge. You can easily get 3rd degree burns from the steering wheel or by sitting on the plastic seat. But I don't think it is the heat...
The real problem is all the snowbirds who are pushing 100 yrs old and are still clinging to their driver's licence...with their eye sight and reflexes shot...No wonder I am overly cautious going through intersections... (even with the green arrow flashing to make a left turn)...who knows what some crazed heat stroke senior citizen of Arizona will do? And most have guns under the front seat of their vehicle. OH MY!


No comments:

Post a Comment