"The Jingle Bell Bum" (Read The Touching True Story...please!) Comment at patriciahanrion.com

"The Jingle Bell Bum" (Read The Touching True Story...please!) Comment at patriciahanrion.com
Still available on Amazon for Nook and Kindle, hard copy booklett to re-print November 2013

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Disneyland Stole Smell-o-vision?

My dad was in the film industry and would often take me to premiers and such things.  One I particularly loved was a new innovation…Smell-o-Vision.  I even had a theater party for my 16th birthday where we went down to Sunset Blvd to see one of the new smelly films.  The hoses were set under the seats and at different times in the film scents...smells...and air were sent out the tubes.  The idea was that the smells were to give you clues and ideas on how to solve a crime.  At least that's what happened in the few I saw.  The bad thing was, the smell was never a surprise as about 30 seconds before you could smell anything, a hissing sound erupted from below your seat and a wind took off that would raise a Marilyn Monroe skirt like in the famous photo.  Then finally the smell came.  Often you knew what the odor was to be by the picture on the screen, and often the odor was quite off.  By that I mean a mere dud of a smell reproduction.  Vomit, cow poop, and other noxious smells were interspersed with roses, orange blossoms, and men's aftershave to change it up a bit...and somehow the nasty smells were more realistic than the ones that were supposed to be pleasant.  And so Smell-o-vision came and went like many other fads.

The idea must have waited in someone's vault because recently I went to Disneyland and one of the shows we went into had smells released throughout the show.  From under the seats of course, and a bit better technology in the presentations without the hiss or whoosh, but still a bit corny...Not so much a part of the story, or a way to solve crime, but to add atmosphere I suppose. 

I mention this because I had a deja-vu of sorts of smell-o-vision on a 5 1/2 hr. plane flight home from my daughter's home in Maryland.  It had been a great trip and I spent a fun and relaxing spring break with my four grandsons.  We visited lots of historic places and just hung-out.  They are such great young men.  James, Zachary, Luke and Harrison are such fun to spend time with I sure wish they lived closer, or plane tickets were cheaper.  Especially since I don't think their family can come out to our little family reunion this summer due to plane ticket prices.  6 tickets anymore is a small fortune so they will have to pass this time and I am so sad.

Anyway, my reason for my Smell-o-Vision discussion is due to the fact that for the entire time on the plane I was assaulted by the odor wafting from the two teenagers in the seats next to me. (I was window, and they were middle and aisle).  Please Please, watch what you eat before a flight...never mind covering a cough! Cover the smells...I'm not sure how, but I was gaging and on the verge of puking the entire trip.

This flight only rivaled the time I was middle-seat and had Mr. Crisco Window and Mrs. Lard Aisle each weigh over 400 pounds and had fat slop over on both sides of me through and over the arms and into my seat space.  The bad thing was, once seated I was pinned like a wrestler who had lost the match and could hardly move.  I believe that may have been when my severe claustrophobia began.  However in my constant quest for finding something good…at least if I was in an accident I could have had lots and lots of padding in the crash!

No comments:

Post a Comment