"The Jingle Bell Bum" (Read The Touching True Story...please!) Comment at patriciahanrion.com

"The Jingle Bell Bum" (Read The Touching True Story...please!) Comment at patriciahanrion.com
Still available on Amazon for Nook and Kindle, hard copy booklett to re-print November 2013

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Rule-out Ringworm?


For those who don't know many are admitted to the hospital with no diagnosis as a rule-out status...this means "Heck, I don't know what it is, but I'll try to find out.  In my nursing career the most bizarre diagnosis was at a county hospital, "rule out ring-worm" .  It's a fungus, a rash, jock-itch.  Now mind you I realized  most of the doctors at the county hospital were very young and very new and "learning".  But to spend my tax money for rule out ring-worm was out of the question.

I could lift up the sheet give one look and say..."ring worm."  Any mom would have known that and said "Give the guy some antifungal cream and get him out of that $300 a day county bed!"  But no, they scraped the skin, sent it to the lab for a confirmed diagnosis.  Imagine that! and we wonder why it takes so long and so much money to become a doctor.  How about some common sense? Now I don't begrudge the guy the nice clean bed, his three meals a day and personal TV, like a vacation I guess.  The poor fellow must have been worried he had ebola, or the creeping crud the way he was treated.

Ya know, I've got a little rash, do you think I can have a three day vacation with someone running around to fetch things for me when I push a button, fat chance!  If I get sick enough to stay in bed my husband runs a long cord and puts the stove next to me so I don't have to go down the stairs to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment